Thursday, July 24, 2014
Module SIX - Chapter 11 – THE TIBER RIVER WALL-HANGING
After a few frantic days of working I finally got my wall-hanging together, assembled and ready just in time for our Summer gathering in Farncombe, on the 4th of July. Here are two pics, from the front and the side, followed by a good number of detailed views.
It measures approximately 145 cms in length and 40 cms in width. It weighs 320 grams and can be rolled up without damage and so it easily made it to the UK in my bag.
The back is a dark orange shot organza hanging freely from the top and partially visible underneath. The top short side of the wall-hanging has been reinforced with a heavy cardboard strip and so holds its shape well.
Below the pics I shortly explain how it has been made.
HOW IT WAS MADE
1 - With cocoon strippings I prepared around thirty irregular lacy ‘fabric’ pieces (ca. 30 per 15 cms) and coloured them in 3 different colours – aquamarine green, turquoise and petrol blue – using various blends of very diluted acrylic inks sprayed on very thin stripping layers.
2 – I grouped the ‘fabric’ pieces so as to form six long ribbons of approximately the same length (150 cms), with two darker ribbons in petrol blue and four other lighter ribbons in turquoise and aquamarine in different proportions.
I stitched them together and reinforced fragile areas with machine embroidery and the addition of fibers, soya bean filaments, bits of transparent fabrics, distressed wool yarns.
Below is a pic of the petrol blue ribbons and of the six ribbons as a group.
3 – I enriched the lighter ribbons only with some found objects – plastic shreddings and coloured straw saved from packages. Later, after all the machine stitching was done, I also added some sea glass pebbles.
To make my ribbons wavy and give them more structure and strength along the edges I stitched on the back a 0,4 mm thick cotton covered copper wire.
4 - With a thicker (0,9 mm) cotton covered copper wire I made the ‘branches’, wrapping them partially by machine and partially by hand in wool fleece, variegated yarns and embroidery threads.
5 – With all my elements ready I tried several arrangements and combinations and after a lot of thinking, doing and undoing I came up with what looked to me to be the most satisfying solution:
the two darker ribbons side by side with the wound/fracture between them, partially covered and overlaid with the four lighter ribbons.
6 – The two central dark ribbons were then partially connected and interlaced by red threads and very loose and irregular soluble lace fragments inspired by samples I did for Chapter 7.
Also the wrapped branches in copper wire were used to bind the layers together.