Module SIX – Chapter 4 – FABRICS AND THREADS – COLOURING AND BONDING


Threads before dyeing
Chapter FOUR invites to prepare and colour threads and fabrics for use later in the Module.
On the left my threads and yarns are wound around plastic covers and cling film tubes and are ready for a dip in colour.
For colouring I used acrylic inks instead of dyes. I recently discovered these paints and find them extremely practical and easy to use: no stiffening, vivid hues, no need to fix them by thermosetting or soda ash, excellent light fastness. They are simply great to colour both papers and fabrics.
For applying colours I used brushes and spoons on the wet threads lying in a shallow tray.

  
THREADS AND YARNS

This is a general view of my stash, followed by some detail pics.

Threads general


Threads detail1


Threads detail2


Threads detail3



FABRICS


I dyed and painted different types of fabrics – calico, linen, cloth, velvet, felt, cheesecloth, silk, scrim, synthetics and others. I used mainly white or pale coloured fabrics, sometimes also printed or patterned fabrics from my stash.

Techniques used:
- dyeing with Procion
- colouring with acrylic inks and acrylic paints by dipping, brushes, sponges
- salt on wet colours
- bonding of acrylic paints, crayons, oil pastels with Bondaweb.

I have arranged my fabrics in groups according to their prevailing colours – mainly blues/turquoise with touches of pink and green and the last stash of greenish hues.
  
Fabrics2 Group ONE



Fabrics3
Group TWO



Fabrics4
Group THREE



Fabrics5
Group FOUR



Fabrics6
Group FIVE



Fabrics7
Group SIX



Fabrics1
Group SEVEN

Comments

  1. What an exciting palette of colours and threads - they just look lovely.
    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are fabulous,my kind of colours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, just found your blog today, and what a wonderful inspirering Universe you have here. Signed up as reader and look forward to follow you :-) have a nice weekend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mette, thank you so much for following me! I am happy you found me so I found you too ... Your blog is so inspiring and I love your photos, such a shame I can't understand what you write. By the way what does it mean "finurligefinesser"? I've just become one of your followers. You too have a nice weekend

      Delete
  4. What a stunning selection of colours and such a good idea to use acrylic inks, thank you for the tip.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts